School counselor is based on student's last name
last name A-G
last name h-n
last name o-z
presentations & Handouts
Please read the daily announcements for upcoming events!
Upcoming Opportunities & summer camps
The Brandon valley school district neither endorses nor sponsors the organization or activity represented in these documents.
Opportunities that come up during the school year.
Job openings for high school students. This has replaced our job board.
Opportunities during the summer!
what are professional school counselors?
Professional School Counselors certified/licensed educators with a minimum of a Master's Degree in School Counseling.
What does a professional school counselors do?
· Professional school counselors serve a vital role in maximizing student success. He or she promotes leadership, advocacy, collaboration, and equality.
· Professional school counselors support a safe learning environment and work to safeguard the human rights of all members of the school community and address the needs of all students.
· Professional school counselors focus on three main areas:
o Personal/Social issues
What does a professional school counselor do on an average day?
· Developmental Guidance going in the classroom and presenting relevant information.
-Examples: Bullying prevention, college & career information, registration, writing resumes, etc.
· Parent/Guardian contacts via phone calls and/or emails
· Individual counseling with students
-Examples: Grade checks, discussing personal/social issues, assisting with future plans, discussing results of standardized tests, etc.
· Group counseling with students
-Examples: Children of divorce/separated parents, grief group and others that the counselor may see a need for.
· Test administrator/district contact person Smarter Balanced, Dakota STEP Tests, Apsire/PLAN, PSAT, ACT etc.
· Collaborating with outside agencies to help the students in the community
· Adviser for student groups
-Examples: SADD/TATU, Peer Helpers, Student Council, etc.
CLICK ON THE LOGO ABOVE TO BE LINKED TO THE BVHS WEBSITE!